Wednesday 7 August 2013

It's show time!

Dear readers,

welcome to our daily news. Here you'll be able to read about our days here in Požega and find out all the details you might have missed during the day.
Yesterday our little crew arrived to Požega. While we wait for the first of our participants to arrive, here are some pictures and impressions from our project leaders on their trip and new surroundings.

Petra & Neva


How to smuggle bone samples in a car from Zagreb to Požega


This is my first year at a Summer School of Science and it has been great so far. It started with a challenge – how to transport a cow, chicken and several human bones in a car with four other people and not to look like a crazy person? I came from a small village in the north part of Croatia, where being 24 and doing PhD in evolutionary genetics is crazy enough. But on the way to Požega some problems have occurred. Except for the 40C outside, we’ve stumbled upon several police controls. But fear not! All bones are in the place and we are ready to start the project on the ancient DNA. –by Mateja
 

 

Diary of a traveller in Hrvatska - Day 1: the things I have learned


Croatians are incredibly nice (from a sample size n<10). But so are the Portuguese. Pancakes in Croatia are actually crepes. They are awesome with snickers. Transporting bone samples in a car wearing a face mask. A fun time all around. Can’t wait till school starts. – by Ruben

Lucija's diar(r)y(hea)



I' am coming from a small town near Zagreb, called Samobor. Samobor is famous for a special creamy type of cakes and garlic sausages. I’ll try not to eat those while I’m here, because some people tend to avoid me when I do. Other from my studying and working in a company I really love these summer schools, so I just came back from another science popularization workshops – Summer Science Factory. As you can guess by now, I don’t like hot weather, so I like to spend time closed in a nicely air conditioned place. You might be wondering why this is called a diar(r)y(hea)? Well, it seems that I caught some stomach flu a day ago. It was fun driving in a car, me wearing the face mask and Mateja smuggling bones – we just waited for the police to stop us J - by Lucija

 


Car no1 approaching Požega



Driving to Požega is nice. If you don’t mind the heat. Even if you have an air conditioning, it just can’t fight the heat outside. But the drive here was very fun. So you have four Croatian people and one Portuguese guy in a car. One girl is wearing a face mask. There was also a bag full of bones. This couldn’t have gone apparently, bones stick to a person’s tongue if there are still muscles on them. Cops kind of looked at us strangely when such a setup was driving half a meter behind a tractor, while the girl with the mask was trying to take a photo of the tractor’s brand “Poljostroj”. Oh, Požega is nice also. On a first day here there were pancakes. I like pancakes. – by Ivan



Ice cream on a gas station


This is a beginning and hopefully the end of my diary. Today we went on a field trip to Požega. It was fun. Like we didn’t carry 40 liters of liquid nitrogen. Neva has bought us an ice cream, it was nice. Then we’ve arrived to Pozega. It’s really hot in here. – by Tonči



 

Quadraphemia



My name is Damjan and I have a quadraphemia. Meaning that there’s actually four of us. Since I came a bit earlier to Požega, all four of us slept all day long today. We are the happiest project leaders for now! – by Damjan


 

Renan’s poem


I'm Renan, from Israel, the startup nation,
And if ever I were to run a company of aviation,
No matter if landing in airport Turkish or Croation,
I will decree that in each and every outgoing plane,
(In order to keep the poor passengers sane)
No more than three babies (and preferably less)
Will be allowed on the aircraft (we don't want the mess),
And should any toddler fail this to uphold,
He will be instantly tossed straight overboard;
For my journey to Zagreb was an entire symphony,
but not by Beethoven.


No comments:

Post a Comment